In 2023, Roku has some great web browsers available through the Roku Channel Store. These browsers let you use the internet on your TV. The top choices are Firefox, Google Chrome, and Opera, which are easy to use. Puffin TV Browser is fast and made for TV screens. The Silk Browser from Amazon works well if you use Amazon services. DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser keeps your browsing private. The Roku Web Browser is simple to use. With these seven web browsers, you can have a better TV and internet experience all in one place.
Does Roku Have a Web Browser?
Roku itself doesn’t have a built-in web browser, but you can get one from the Roku Channel Store, which is like an app store for your Roku. However, some of these web browsers on Roku may not work well with video streaming sites and could have privacy issues. Still, it’s a useful feature to have, especially if you use your Roku a lot.
7 Best Web Browsers on Roku
You have many web browsers to pick from in the Roku Channel Store. Some are free, and some you need to pay for. To decide which one is best for your Roku, you should read the reviews for each app. This will help you find the one that works well with your Roku and suits your needs for web browsing on your TV.
1. Web Video Caster – Receiver
The Web Video Caster – Receiver app is great for internet browsing and streaming. You can use it to watch TV shows, movies, live streams, and more. It can also display photos and play videos from specific websites. Just remember, it’s not free, and it costs $4.99 per month. You can get it from the Roku Channel Store and choose the premium version to get all its features for a better streaming experience on your Roku device.
- Widely used on Roku and other streaming devices.
- Supports video streaming and viewing media content.
- The app is not free; access to most features requires the Premium version.
Opera is a great free web browser for your Roku. It’s fast and won’t slow you down. You can also use it on most Windows computers. An awesome feature is the built-in VPN for added online privacy. Whether you’re browsing the web or streaming, Opera offers a smooth and secure experience on your Roku device.
To use Opera with your Roku, follow these easy steps since it’s not in the Roku Channel Store. First, download Opera on your computer. Make sure your Roku is on the same Wi-Fi network as your computer. Then, open Opera, go to Settings, click “Cast,” and choose your Roku. After that, you can browse the internet and cast content to your Roku device for a better browsing and streaming experience.
- Lightweight and works on most Windows computers.
- Fast loading speeds compared to other browsers.
- Free and regularly updated.
- Not available on the Roku Channel Store.
- Installation process can be slow at times.
3. Emby For Roku
Emby for Roku is a handy media streaming app that works with your Roku device, whether it’s connected to your smart TV or computer. You can use it to watch the latest movies, Live TV, and other content. Plus, it lets you access your saved content in the “My Media” section. It’s a great tool for all your entertainment needs on Roku.
To get Emby for Roku, simply find it on the Roku Channel Store and download it at no cost.
- User-friendly and optimized interface.
- Suitable for streaming movies, Live TV, TV series, and music.
- Lets you view your saved content.
- Supports streaming only, not for web browsing.
- Requires an Emby Premiere subscription to access premium channels.
Firefox stands out as one of the premier web browsers available today, celebrated for its ongoing improvements and the strong privacy features it offers. Users have consistently favored Firefox for its reliability and security. Much like Opera, Firefox also extends its support to a range of Roku device models, making it a versatile choice for those seeking a seamless and private web browsing experience. Whether you’re streaming content or exploring the web, Firefox continues to be a trusted option for users looking for both functionality and privacy in their browser.
To use Firefox with your Roku:
- Download Firefox browser on your computer.
- Connect your Roku to your computer and open Firefox. Make sure both are on the same Wi-Fi network.
- Go to Settings, click “Cast,” and select your Roku from the list.
- Now, you can start casting content to your Roku device for an enhanced browsing and streaming experience.
- Fast browsing and doesn’t use much storage space.
- Highly customizable with a built-in ad-blocker.
- Includes private browsing for added privacy.
- Not compatible with some websites and streaming services.
5: Safari Browser
The Safari Browser for Roku is not the same as the one on iOS and macOS. People haven’t had a good experience with it on Roku, and it has a low rating in the Roku Channel Store. So, you might want to look for other web browsing options for a better time on your Roku device.
- One of the few web browsers available in the Roku Channel Store.
- It’s a free app, so worth giving it a try.
- Allows web browsing and content streaming.
- Mostly negative reviews on the Roku Channel Store.
- Can be a bit time-consuming to use.
6. Google Chrome
Google Chrome is widely used on Windows computers and smartphones. It’s famous for being easy to use, loading quickly, and working well on different devices.
To use Chrome for casting to Roku:
- Download Chrome on your computer.
- Connect your Roku to your computer and ensure they are on the same Wi-Fi network.
- Open Chrome, click on “More,” and choose “Cast.” Select your Roku from the device list.
- Now you can start casting content from Chrome to your Roku device.
- Free app with fast loading speeds.
- Offers useful features like screencasting and content downloading.
- Supports various video formats.
- Helpful How-To guides for easier use.
- Consumes a lot of internal storage space.
- Incidents of data leaks, including the collection of users’ personal data.
7. The Roku Channel
The Roku Channel is where you can find premium Roku content, including Roku Originals, and also watch TV series, classic movies, and other on-demand shows. It’s like an all-in-one channel for both premium and free TV. The best part is, you can get it for free from the Roku Channel Store, making it a great choice for Roku users looking for a variety of entertainment options in one place.
- All-in-one app for live and on-demand TV content.
- Allows you to add premium channels like Showtime, Epix, and more.
- It’s free and user-friendly.
- Some free channels have geographic restrictions.
- Does not support web browsing.
Frequently Asked Questions: Roku Browser
If you’re unsure about the best web browser for Roku, you can check the frequently asked questions below for help.
1. Can I browse the internet on my Roku TV?
Yes, you can browse the internet on your Roku TV using the Opera browser for Roku, or any of the other recommended web browsers mentioned above.
2. How do I get Google on my Roku?
You can have Google on your Roku by using a good internet web browser for Roku. With this browser, you can easily Google anything you need.
Q.3 How do I add Safari to Roku?
To add Safari to Roku, simply visit the Roku ChannelStore and add the tool to your device easily.
Q.4 What internet browser can be used on Roku?
You can use a variety of internet web browsers on Roku. Popular options like Opera and Mozilla Firefox are available for Roku. You can find some of the best apps above for your convenience.
Q.5 What is the free web browser for Roku?
The best free web browsers for Roku are Opera and Firefox. Additionally, browsers like Web Browser X and POPRISM are also commonly used by Roku users.
6. Can I install Google Chrome on Roku?
No, you can’t install Google Chrome on Roku. There’s no Google Chrome app for Roku. If you really want to use Chrome on your TV, you’ll need to mirror your screen from another Miracast-enabled device.
To sum it up, web browsing on Roku may not be as common as streaming, but it’s a handy feature that gives you access to the internet and popular websites. This guide has presented the best Roku web browsers for 2023, helping you make the right choice for your Roku device. Whether you’re into streaming, online content, or general web exploration, there’s a browser to fit your needs. We hope this guide has made it easier for you to find the perfect Roku web browser to enhance your browsing and streaming experience in 2023.